Tuesday, April 19, 2011

#*@!-Don't Try This at Home Kids

Pencils: Anthony Carpenter. inks and ink spillage: Jack Snider

There is an important lesson to be learned here, sadly I'd learned it a long time ago and, in my haste, ignored it.

When drawing with ink or inking artwork with a brush always secure your ink bottle to your desk (see bottom illustration). If you don't you may tip your ink bottle over onto the art you're working on. (see above) I actually un-taped my ink bottle so I could shake it up and then stuck it down with the old tape, The unfortunate accident (above) took place after I had taken the lid off the ink bottle and checked to make sure the tape was secure. It was not. (Gaze in shock at my stupidity above.)

Another important lesson is to always make a copy or a scan of the  pencils in case something catastrophic (Oh the humanity, look at that mess!) should happen to the pencil artwork. Luckily I did in this case and was able to digitally ink the destroyed half (Stare into the abyss above and let it stare into you asking, " Why man, why?") and reconstruct the hand inked art with the art inked on the computer.

Here is the finished page:
Salvaged and colored page.















(This is one part of a comic produced by Alan Close (Writer), Anthony Carpenter (Penciller), and me (Inker, Colorer, Destroyer), for a computer/tech solutions company.)

Inking tech solutions:


No comments: